Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    tmjac2tmjac2 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ah...you're thinking of the old Clipper days when an index could be created on an open file in use. After 20 years of Advantage programming the idea, although surely missed can be bypassed.

If desperate for temporary index, create a random temp file, copy existing data, index, use data and delete file when done.

• compudimecompudime commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very much needed to fix the situations when a SQL query stops all users while it builds a temorary index.

• Jim HadarJim Hadar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent idea. Especially for in-house programmers. I can't count the times I've had to wait for everyone to go home, so I could make a simple change.

• graphicequalisergraphicequaliser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can already make temporary indexes using AdsCreateIndex. I use this technique to allow the end user to build runtime filter indexes on data that is constantly shared. When the user closes the index, it deletes the index file that was created. A new one is created each time a user creates a new filter.

• srwhitesrwhite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not know what is so daft about considering that VFP has had this feature for years and I have not experienced data corruption because of it. Reindexing is a different matter and requires exclusive use.

• graphicequalisergraphicequaliser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Daft idea. You could easily compromise index integrity. If others are allowed to update the database while the index is being built, and those updates are also trying to update the index because they affect the fields used in the index order, then there could be problems, especially if they occur in the same index page simultaneously.

Feedback and Knowledge Base