Same Syntax for AOF and SQL-Where (LIKE, IN, ...)

It would be fine when the AOF (of a TADSTable) could have the same Syntax like the SQL-Where-Part of a TADSQuery.

72 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TyroleanTyrolean shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • demcdonalddemcdonald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would just like to once again add my 2 cents. If a bad filter raises its head at a customer site, a badly designed SQL statement, data integrity issue or failing hardware is starting, we could turn this on, on the fly and turn it off after we identify an issue. It could bie a line of code in a new Advantage release even. We know query logging and SQL logging exists so combining the two in the server monitor would be great, The program, table, index used, index fields being attempted and user. I know ADS AOF's and SQL statements can both have issues and we will all use them both until we die, SQL ia not always the cureall and can even be dangerous after managing a large Oracle shop years back, Regards, Dan

• Clemens Maier, Dontenwill AGClemens Maier, Dontenwill AG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would also need the counterpart: In our ERP-Application, users can define "read permissions" as AOF-Filters for every table in the dictionary.

To be able to use the same filters in SQL based request, we would need a SQL function like "AOF(SQL_ALIAS, AOF_FILTER_STRING)"

• synacksynack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I say leave it alone - xBase is dead so there's no need to conform to it. Why are your users aware of syntax anyway? You can recreate the xBase syntax in your application but execute the SQL equivelant.

• jeremym1234jeremym1234 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I imagine we would use overloaded functions to retain the old prototypes, but provide a consistent set of new functions as well.

• graphicequalisergraphicequaliser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely, there is too much disparity between the xBase syntax and the SQL Anywhwere syntax for this to be possible! If such a feat were to be accomplished, I would very much resent seeing any changes to the xBase syntax all my users are accustomed to. How would such a change be achieved without changes to either syntax?

Feedback and Knowledge Base