Automatically fix differences between table struct and dd

On DBF table open, check table structure vs data dictionary structure definition and adjust dictionary definition if different.

30 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jeremym1234jeremym1234 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a program which does this. It has been working for Medisoft since 1992. If anyone is interested contact me dave

• synacksynack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, this would be helpful. We frequently have tables that were modified outside of the DD using DOS tools and they get out of sync. Currently, the only to resolve this is to remove the dbf table from the DD and add it back. If this could be resolved automatically by refreshing the DD that would be great.

• sarassaras commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give us 3 option:
        1. just refresh the dictionary
        2. update the table structure
        3. skip/manually

• Marcus HerzMarcus Herz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request should be extended to a call to update all tables at once after installing a new add. Just updateing one table can lead to problems with RI or other dependancies.

• mferrinimferrini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't think so. At least not automatic on every table open operation. Maybe a new ARC32 option to execute manually to refresh DD info.

• joachimdjoachimd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

very useful...but keep in mind to check if the new structure can be used with the other table/database properties and objects (e.g. if a view selects from a field which vanished)

Feedback and Knowledge Base