Add more information to ADS error messages!

Most ADS error messages dealing with table problems (7000 series) do not include much information. Would be nice to have other data included such as table name, record number, field name, etc, depending on the type of error.

48 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ken BrumbackKen Brumback commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make this error message setting optional as to what is displayed so that METADATA information is NOT displayed to end users. If there are any security pitfalls, i.e. the user has elevated rights due to incorrect rights assigments, then they could 'DROP TABLE CUSTNEW' when they know the table name.

• mhagmanAdminmhagman (Admin, advantage) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

v11 has improvements to ADS error messages including the field name that helps provide additional information for trouble shooting. Also, significant updates have been added to help with replication issues.

• Daniel B. ChapmanDaniel B. Chapman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is also true of the JDBC driver, we really need better error messages for bad queries as well as the 6000/7000 series errors.

• Ray LongRay Long commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Especially on any data truncated or 2124. If you have a lot of fields you are dealing with it is time consuming to find the actual error when ADS knows what it is and just does not tell us.

Feedback and Knowledge Base